His father sold lumber and insurance. His grandfather owned a retail store. Now he is in management at one of the most highly respected sales productivity services companies in the country.
Amid the sea of blue and yellow clad technology gurus at Best Buy, Phill gained an appreciation for what it meant to be “better” when his manager pulled him to the side to explain how easy it would be to stand out from his peers. That insight changed the way he not only looked at sales, but business in general.
Today, most of Phill’s time is spent putting all of that to use through his efforts at Octiv, but he also co-hosts the #RealSalesTalk podcast and organizes the Indianapolis Chapter of the American Association for Inside Sales Professionals.
- Adopt a CEO Mentality: The perception of who you are matters a lot. Instead of just doing everything you’re supposed to do, think bigger — if it were your company, what would you do differently? How would you dress? How would you talk to customers? Would you hold others accountable? These ideas will get you thinking more broadly about the business as opposed to just your role in sales.
- Leverage Your Network: The easiest way to get into a new prospect is through referral, right? Once you figure out who’s connected to the people you want to talk to, what information can you arm them with to make an introduction on your behalf?
- Act Like a Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: Think about how you communicate with the most important people in your life (family, close friends, etc.). When you call or text them, if they don’t respond right away, you likely give them some time knowing they’re probably busy. But after a few days or weeks, you don’t just give up, your frequency of calls and texts increases. When you apply that to prospecting, most people know that a salesperson will go away if you just ignore them. Flipping the script to give them space and then ramping up the frequency might just get you in the door.
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- The Sales Development Playbook by Trish Bertuzzi
- Octiv – Transform the way your sales assets are created, distributed and tracked around the world. Because a better sales process is a better buying experience.
Subscribe to SalesTuners
I’ve led two companies from $1 million to more than $10-million, and one from $1-million to bankruptcy. Today, I work with entrepreneurs who don’t realize they are the VP of Sales as well as individual salespeople to 10X their revenue using a proven, step-by-step, sales methodology.